ACTIVE TIME: 30 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 1 HR. I SERVES: 4-6
- ~1.5 lbs extra lean ground beef
- 1 small white or yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 – 6 cloves of garlic, roughly minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or vegetable oil
- 3 cups cooked red beans
- 3 cups cooked kidney beans
- 12 oz. can tomato paste
- 3 cups water
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 tablespoon granulated onion
- Kosher salt, to taste
- Red onion
- Shredded cheese
- Start by browning the ground beef in a large Dutch oven or pot. When beef is mostly cooked, add the onions, garlic and olive oil. Stirring frequently until the onions become translucent.
- Stir in the tomato paste and then season with black pepper, chili powder, granulated garlic and onion.
- Add the water and beans. Stir gently to combine. Season with kosher salt to taste.
- Cover and allow to cook for at least 30 minutes before serving with cheese, red onions, chives and your favorite cornbread.