ACTIVE TIME: 30 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 30 MIN. I SERVES: 12
- 3 sweet onions, sliced
- 1 head of garlic, roughly minced
- 1 fresh jalapeño, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 2 cups shredded triple cheddar cheese
- 6 jalapeño cheddar brats
- 6 smoked beef brats
- 12 ballpark buns
- Chives, for serving
- Preheat oven to 375°.
- Start by sautéing the onions and garlic with the canola oil and butter in a large skillet. Stirring often, sauté until the onions begin to caramelize.
- While the onions are cooking, heat a large griddle or skillet. Carefully slice the sausages 3/4 of the way through lengthwise; you’ll want them to be butterflied. Place the butterflied sausages facedown onto the griddle, cooking until the sausage begins to brown before flipping.
- To assemble, place the buns on a large baking sheet and add a light spread of mayonnaise to each one. Add the sausages and cover with shredded cheese. Top each with caramelized onions. Finish with a slice of jalapeño on those with jalapeños.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until the cheese is bubbly and the buns are toasted.
- Serve with fresh chives and a side of fries.