ACTIVE TIME: 60 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 2 HR. I MAKES: ~ 64 OZ.
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 8 minced garlic cloves, about 2 tablespoons
- 1 1/2 cups diced yellow onions
- 2 lbs. ground Italian sausage
- 48 oz. of your favorite prepared pasta sauce, I use Classico Roasted Garlic
- 2 cups warm water
- 1 tablespoon of Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 2 bay leaves
- Salt & Pepper
- Start with adding the oil and ground Italian sausage to a large pot over medium heat.
- When the sausage begins to brown, add the diced onions and minced garlic. Stirring often, sauté the mixture for 10-15 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Pour in the pasta sauce and 2 cups of warm water. I pour the water into the pasta sauce jars and give them a good shake before adding to the pot.
- Season with salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, oregano, red chili flakes and 2 tablespoons of the fresh basil. Toss in the bay leaves and give the sauce a good stir.
- Turn the heat to low and cover. Stirring every 20 minutes or so, allow the sauce to cook down for an hour or two – the longer, the better.
- Stir in the remaining 2 tablespoons of basil before serving or storing the sauce in the freezer or in the refrigerator for up to 4 days.