ACTIVE TIME: 1 HR. I TOTAL TIME: 1 HR. I SERVES: 4
- Fast food style shoestring fries
- Sliced American cheese
- 3 cups of finely diced yellow onions
- 10-12 cloves of garlic, roughly minced
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 3/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup sweet relish
- 3 1/2 tablespoons ketchup
- 1 1/2 teaspoon yellow mustard
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- Splash of Worcestershire sauce
- Dash of cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Make the dressing first by combing all of the ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and refrigerate until ready to use.
- Preheat oven to 450°.
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat and add the vegetable oil, butter, onions and garlic. Sauté until onions turn dark golden brown, this will take about 40-45 minutes and requires continuous stirring.
- Place fries on a large, oiled baking sheet and cook for 15-20 minutes or until they reach a light golden brown and are crisp.
- When the fries and onions are both ready, begin assembling by placing a layer of crispy fries on the same large, oiled baking sheet. Top with slices of American cheese and then a generous amount of caramelized onions. Repeat this step until satisfied; ending with the caramelized onion layer.
- Place the fries back into the oven and turn the temperature down to 350°. Bake for about 5 minutes or until the cheese is melted.
- Take the sauce out of the fridge and top the hot, cheesy fries with a healthy helping. Add a little extra relish if you’re a pickle person.
- Enjoy with a fork and napkins.