ACTIVE TIME: 30 MIN. I COOK TIME: 45 MIN. I SERVES: 4
- ~ 1 lbs. ground turkey
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 5 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 10 oz. can Ro-tel tomatoes and green chilies
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 2 cups prepared brown rice – I use Ready Rice
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheese
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon granulated onion
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- A pinch of oregano
- Salt & pepper
- Crushed red chili peppers
- Preheat the oven to 375°.
- Start by adding the ground turkey and olive oil to a large oven-safe skillet over medium heat. Cook until the turkey begins to brown before adding the diced onions and garlic. Sauté for about 10 minutes or until the onions start to turn translucent.
- Stir in the can of tomatoes and green chilis as well as all of the seasonings.
- Next, add the can of beans and prepared rice, carefully mixing to combine.
- Cover the rice with shredded cheese. Place in the oven to bake for 15 – 20 minutes or until the cheese is golden and bubbly.
- Serve with a pinch of fresh cilantro, sliced avocado and red chili pepper flakes.