ACTIVE TIME: 30 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 60 MIN. I MAKES: 16
- 16 mushrooms
- 1 small yellow onion, finely diced
- 1/4 cup + 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 ounces softened cream cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded Gruyère cheese
- 1/4 cup gluten free bread crumbs
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Kosher salt & ground black pepper
- Heat a skillet over medium heat. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil. When the oil shimmers, add the finely diced onions.
- Turn the heat to low and sauté the onions until they begin to caramelize, stirring often. This will take about 20-30 minutes.
- While the onions are cooking, preheat the oven to 400°.
- In a small bowl, combine the remaining 1/4 cup of olive oil and the Italian seasoning. Set aside.
- Prepare the mushrooms by cleaning with a paper towel. Carefully remove each stem, setting aside for the stuffing, and toss each cap in the seasoned olive oil before placing in a baking dish.
- Sprinkle the seasoned caps with kosher salt before placing in the oven for 10 minutes to draw out extra moisture.
- Next, finely chop the removed mushroom stems and add them to the caramelized onions. Stir in the granulated garlic and a pinch of salt and pepper. Turn the heat to medium low.
- Remove the caps from the oven after the 10 minutes and turn over to drain any liquids.
- While the caps drain, remove the onion and stem mixture from heat and stir in the Gruyère and cream cheeses. As the cheeses begin to slightly melt, fold in the breadcrumbs.
- When the filling is thoroughly combined, carefully fill each mushroom cap. Each cap should have a small mound of cheesy, delicious filling.
- Bake for 20 – 30 minutes, or until each stuffed mushroom has a crispy, golden brown top.