ACTIVE TIME: 90 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 90 MIN. I SERVES: 6
- 1/4 cup of olive oil
- 1/4 cup salted butter
- 1 head of garlic, peeled
- 3 lbs. of sliced sweet onions
- 6 cups beef broth
- 1/3 cup dry white wine
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 beef bouillons
- 2-3 sprigs of fresh thyme
- 2-3 bay leaves
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup shredded Four Cheeses Asiago, Fontina, Parmesan, Provolone blend
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 gluten free baguette, sliced
- Salt & Pepper
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Start with adding the oil and butter to a large pot over medium heat.
- Add the sliced onions and season with salt and pepper. Stirring often, sauté the onions for 30-45 minutes. When they are translucent, add the garlic cloves and continue sautéing until the onions become golden and caramelized.
- While the onions are cooking down, place the slices of baguette on a small baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and sprinkle with the Italian seasoning. Toast for 3-5 minutes on each side. Set aside to cool.
- When caramelized, deglaze the onions by mixing in the white wine and Worcestershire sauce. Scraping the bottom of the pan to get all of the caramelized bits.
- Add the crumbled bouillon cubes before pouring in all 6 cups of beef broth. Toss in the thyme and bay leaves.
- Bring the soup to a boil and simmer for 10-15 minutes.
- In a small bowl, combine the cheeses.
- Scoop a healthy portion of soup into oven-safe ramekins. Top with a few toasted baguette slices and a heavy sprinkle of cheese.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes and then finish by broiling on low for an additional 5 minutes. The cheese should be bubbly and slightly golden.
- Serve immediately with a sprig of fresh thyme.
One thought on “Cozy French Onion Soup”