ACTIVE TIME: 30 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 1 HR. I SERVES: 4
- 2 cups uncooked center-cut bacon, chopped
- 1 small white or yellow onion, finely diced
- 4 – 6 cloves of garlic, roughly minced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 cups cubed and peeled russet potatoes
- 5 cups vegetable or chicken broth + more to thin if needed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 cup shredded medium cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded white sharp cheddar
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon dried chives
- 2 bay leaves
- Kosher salt
- Black pepper
- Start by adding chopped bacon to a large pot and cook until the edges begin to curl. Add the diced onions, garlic and olive oil; stirring frequently.
- When the mixture begins to caramelize, toss in the cubed potatoes, broth and bay leaves. Bring to a boil and cook until the potatoes are tender.
- Remove the bay leaves. Carefully scoop out approximately 3 cups of broth and potatoes, adding it to a large heat safe bowl. Pour in the heavy whipping cream and blend potatoes into a purée using a blender or hand mixer.
- Mix the purée back into the soup and season with garlic powder, chives, salt and pepper. Add more broth if consistency is too thick.
- Next, stir in the shredded white and medium cheddar cheeses.
- Serve immediately with crumbled bacon, more shredded cheese and chives.
2 thoughts on “Creamy Potato Bacon Chowder”