ACTIVE TIME: 30 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 6-8 HR. I SERVES: 6-8
- 2½ Ib. boneless pork shoulder, trimmed and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 ounces low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 ⅓ cups orange juice
- 1 onion, sliced and quartered
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- ¼ tsp. salt
- 2 cups boiling water
- 6 dried ancho chiles; stemmed, seeded and torn into small pieces
- 2 – 3 dried guajillo chiles; stemmed, seeded and torn into small pieces
- ¼ cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas, warmed
- Shredded cabbage
- Thinly sliced radishes
- Lime wedges, for serving
- Stir together pork, broth, juice, onion, oregano, and salt in a slow cooker.
- Cover and cook on high for 6 hours or low for 8-9 hours.
- Meanwhile, pour the boiling water over ancho and guajillo chiles in a heatproof bowl: let stand 15 minutes.
- Drain chiles, reserving ½ cup soaking water.
- Blend chiles, reserved soaking water, vinegar, Jalapeño, cilantro, garlic, and cumin in a blender or food processors.
- Seal and set in the refrigerator for later use.
- When the pork can be shredded with a fork, drain the cooking liquid and shred the pork.
- Pour the chile sauce over the pork and stir to coat.
- Cook for an additional 15-20 minutes before serving on warm tortillas with cabbage, radish and lime.