ACTIVE TIME: 1 HR. I TOTAL TIME: 1 HR. I SERVES: 6
- ~ 1 1/2 cups cherry tomatoes
- 6 roma tomatoes, cored
- 1 yellow onion, quartered
- 2 small heads of garlic
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1 cup of vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/3 cup coconut milk or heavy whipping cream
- 2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
- A handful of fresh basil
- A pinch of sugar
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat the oven to 400°.
- Place the tomatoes, quartered onions, and garlic in a small baking dish. Drizzle with 1/4 cup of olive oil and top with a sprinkle of salt.
- Place in vegetables in the oven and roast, uncovered, for 35-45 minutes.
- When the tomatoes are split and the onions begin to char, remove the dish from the oven to cool.
- While the roasted vegetables are cooling, remove the roasted garlic cloves from the heads of garlic and place them back into the dish.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, Italian seasoning, and sugar to the dish of vegetables. Top with the handful of basil, salt and pepper.
- Carefully place the contents of the baking dish and 1 cup of vegetable or chicken stock into a high powered blender. Puree until the consistency is smooth and creamy.
- Pour the puréed soup into a large soup pot and warm on medium heat. When the soup begins to simmer, stir in the heavy cream or coconut milk and crushed red pepper flakes.
- Serve warm with your favorite cheesy sandwich.