ACTIVE TIME: 45 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 1 HR. 45 MIN. I MAKES: ABOUT 30 COOKIES
For the cocoa cookies
- 2 cups 1:1 gluten free flour
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 cup unsweetened, Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 cup cold, salted butter – cut into 8 pieces
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup almond milk
For the marshmallow cream filling
- 13 oz. of marshmallow fluff
- 2 sticks salted butter, softened
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- Pinch of kosher salt
For finishing: Crushed peppermint candy canes
- In a food processor, add the flour, powdered sugar, cocoa powder and salt. Pulse until just combined. Toss in the cold butter in 2-3 batches. Next add the vanilla and milk. Pulse until the dough begins to come together and form a ball. If you do not have a food processor, use a pastry blender to cut the butter into the flour mixture and combine the dough with your hands.
- Place the dough on a piece of parchment paper, knead to incorporate any remaining flour bits. Shape the dough back into a ball and wrap in either parchment paper or plastic wrap. Allow dough to chill in the refrigerator for 20 minutes.
- Prepare 2 – 3 baking sheets with parchment paper.
- When the dough is chilled, divide it into four smaller dough balls and rewrap. Take one dough ball at a time and place it on a sheet of parchment paper. Cover with another sheet of parchment paper and using a rolling pin, roll out the dough to a 1/8 inch thickness before cutting desired shapes with cookie cutters. Dust with powdered sugar if the cookies begin to stick. Save the scraps and refrigerate for 20 minutes before rolling again.
- Carefully lay the cut cookies on the parchment lined baking sheets. Place in the refrigerator and chill for one hour prior to baking. This step is crucial and ensures that the cookies keep their shape while baking.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Bake each sheet separately for 11 – 12 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a rack and allow to completely cool.
- While the cookies are cooling, make the cream filling. Combine the marshmallow fluff, vanilla and softened butter in a large bowl. Using a hand mixer, slowly add the powdered sugar and beat until the mixture becomes silky – about 2 minutes. Spoon the cream filling into a piping bag and place in the refrigerator to set for 5 – 10 minutes.
- To assemble the cookies, pipe the marshmallow filling onto one cookie before carefully topping with another. Roll the exposed filling in the crushed peppermint candies before placing into the refrigerator to set. Repeat until you run out of cookies and filling.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator until ready to serve.