ACTIVE TIME: 10 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 1 HR. 10 MIN. I MAKES: 36 – 40 COOKIES
- 3 3/4 cups 1:1 gluten free flour + more for dusting
- 1 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 1/4 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 cup (2 sticks) of softened butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons ground cloves
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated orange zest
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger
- In a large bowl, sift the flour, cloves, cinnamon, nutmeg, cayenne and baking soda together; set aside.
- In a stand up mixer or another large bowl, add the butter, brown sugar, molasses, corn syrup, ginger and orange zest. Beat until the mixture is pale and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes.
- In three alternating batches, carefully add the sifted flour mixture first and then the heavy cream. Mix until just combined. Divide the dough in half, wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for at least one hour.
- Preheat the oven to 350°.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Unwrap one dough ball and place on a well-floured work surface.* Roll out the dough to a 1/8 inch thickness before cutting desired shapes with floured cookie cutters.
- Place the cookies at least 2 inches apart on the parchment paper before baking, one sheet at a time, for about 12 minutes.
- Transfer the cookies to a rack and allow to completely cool before decorating.
- Frost with your favorite icing, if desired. Or enjoy this spicy treat all on its own.
*Just a tip: keep your scraps in the refrigerator for at least 20 minutes before reshaping and rolling. Small and slow batches work best!