ACTIVE TIME: 10 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 24-36 HRS.
- 2 gallons of cold water
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 oranges, sliced
- 2 lemons, sliced
- 1 sweet onion, quartered
- 6 – 8 whole garlic cloves
- 2 tablespoons peppercorns
- 4-5 cloves
- 5-6 bay leaves
- 1 – 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 1/2 cups kosher salt
- 4 cups of ice
- Combine about 4 cups of the water with sugar and salt in a medium saucepan. Heat over medium until the sugar and salt has dissolved.
- Add the liquid to a large stock pot or clean five gallon bucket. Stir in the cold water and remaining brine ingredients, including the ice to cool the brine.
- Prepare the turkey by removing giblets and any plastic packaging.
- Place the turkey breast side down in the brine and cover. Refrigerate or place in a cooler for 24 – 36 hours. Pat dry and allow to air dry for at least 30 minutes prior to cooking.
One thought on “The Best Turkey Brine”