ACTIVE TIME: 45 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 1 HR. 45 MIN. I SERVES: 6
- 8 cups chicken stock or broth
- 4 cans of cannellini beans
- 2 tablespoons of garlic
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 3 carrots peeled and diced
- 2 celery stalks, diced
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1 yellow pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 red pepper, seeded and diced
- 4 small Roma tomatoes, diced
- 2 cups shredded chicken (a rotisserie chicken works perfectly)
- 1/2 cup shredded Italian cheese, I used this Four Cheeses Asiago, Fontina, Parmesan, Provolone blend
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1 teaspoon ground sage
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- Kosher salt
- 1 gluten free baguette, sliced
- Drain and rinse the cannellini beans and place them in a large pot. Cover the beans with 3 cups of chicken broth and add rosemary, bay leaves and kosher salt. Cover and cook, stirring often, for an hour or until the beans begin to fall apart.
- While the beans are cooking, prep your vegetables and shred the chicken.
- When the beans are done, remove the bay leaves and rosemary before pouring them into a bowl and rinsing the pot. Place the pot back onto the stove and add the olive oil. Toss in the carrots, celery, onions, peppers, tomatoes and garlic. Mix in the ground sage and allow to cook down for approximately 20 minutes.
- While the vegetables are cooking, transfer the beans to a blender or food processor and purée until smooth; adding about 1 cup of chicken broth for a silky texture. Place the purée back into the pot with the vegetables, shredded chicken and the remaining chicken broth, stir well to combine. Season with red pepper flakes and more salt if needed.
- Allow the soup to simmer for 10-15 minutes before stirring in the cheese blend and fresh basil.
- Serve immediately topped with more cheese and your favorite baguette.