ACTIVE TIME: 45 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN. I SERVES: 5-6
- 10 oz. chopped bacon
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried chopped onion
- 1 1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine, I tend to use a cheap Sauvignon Blanc
- 1 cup pumpkin purée
- 3-4 cups of vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup shaved Parmesan
- 1 tablespoon of wildflower honey
- Fresh thyme sprigs
- Salt and pepper
- Cook chopped bacon in a medium saucepan until slightly crispy.
- While the bacon is cooking, heat 2 cups of vegetable broth and the pumpkin purée in a separate small saucepan, whisk to combine.
- When the bacon is done, remove the bacon from the pan, leaving the bacon fat, and set aside on a paper towel. Add the minced garlic, chopped onion and sprigs of thyme to the leftover bacon fat. Sauté for about 2 minutes. Add the Arborio rice and continue to sauté on medium-low heat for 5-10 minutes. Stirring frequently.
- Add the 1/2 cup of white wine and allow most of the liquid to evaporate, continuing to stir frequently.
- Slowly add the pumpkin broth mix and the vegetable broth to the rice 1/2 cup at a time – continually stirring and allowing the rice to soak up most of the liquid before adding more. Repeat this step until rice is Al dente and creamy. This will take about 20-25 minutes.
- To finish; gently fold in the chopped bacon, Parmesan and honey. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve immediately with a sprinkle of shaved Parmesan and crumbled bacon.