ACTIVE TIME: 20 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 25 MIN. I SERVES: 2
- 8 slices of Black Forest ham
- 4 slices of Swiss cheese
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 4 slices of deli-style sourdough sandwich bread
- Butter for cooking
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Raspberry jam or preserves for serving
French toast batter
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup almond milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup + more for serving
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon nutmeg
- Start by assembling the sandwiches as you normally would; spreading mayonnaise, mustard and a slice of Swiss cheese on the inside of each slice. Pile on the ham and gently press the sandwiches together. Set aside.
- Prepare the French toast batter in a shallow bowl or dish by mixing all of the ingredients together.
- Heat a griddle or skillet over medium heat. Add a tab of butter.
- Quickly submerge both sides of the sandwich in the French toast batter and place onto the buttered cooking surface. Repeat with each sandwich and cook until each side is golden brown and crispy.
- Serve with a sprinkle of powdered sugar and a side of both raspberry jam and maple syrup for dipping.