ACTIVE TIME: 30 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN. I SERVES: 4
- 2 chicken breasts, tenderized
- 1/2 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 2 teaspoons granulated garlic
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons Easy Truffle Pesto (or any pesto)
- 4 slices of fresh mozzarella
- 4 slices of cooked bacon
- 1 avocado, sliced
- Shredded purple cabbage
- 4 Schär Gluten Free Ciabatta buns
- Start by tenderizing the chicken breasts and slicing each piece in half. You’ll want a small, thin portion for each sandwich.
- Marinate the chicken by combing the maple syrup, 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce, granulated garlic and onion powder in a sealable container or ziplock bag. Allow to marinate for at least 10 minutes.
- Preheat grill to 400°.*
- Cook chicken for 10-12 minutes on each side, using the remaining 1/4 cup of barbecue sauce to baste while cooking. Once the internal temperature reaches 165°, turn the heat down before adding a slice of fresh mozzarella on top of each piece and allow to slightly melt (~5 minutes) before pulling them off of the grill.
- While the chicken is cooking, make the aioli by mixing the pesto and mayo in a small bowl. Set aside.
- When the chicken is done, quickly toast the ciabatta on the top rack of the grill. Assemble the sandwiches beginning with a generous spread of the pesto aioli. Add sliced avocado, bacon and shredded cabbage before carefully topping with the grilled chicken. Add some more pesto aioli to the top bun before serving with your favorite starchy side (like sweet potato fries!).
*If baking, preheat oven to 375° and bake for 25 minutes or until the internal temperature reaches 165°.