ACTIVE TIME: 15 MIN. I TOTAL TIME: 45 MIN. I SERVES: 4
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts
- 1 diced yellow onion
- 6 – 8 garlic cloves roughly chopped
- 2 – 4 chipotle peppers in adobo
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 1 cup red enchilada sauce
- 1 cup barbecue sauce
- Pink Himalayan salt and freshly ground pepper
- Sliced lime
- Tortillas or salad mix
- Heat olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. When the oil shimmers; add the onions and cook, stirring often, until translucent before adding the garlic. When the garlic becomes fragrant, make space for the chicken. Cook the chicken until golden brown, about 3-5 minutes on each side.
- Pour in the enchilada and barbecue sauces. Add the chipotle peppers before covering and turning the heat to low. Simmer for 30 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and can be easily shred. Using two forks, shred the chicken directly in the pan.
- Serve Barbecue Chicken Tinga as tacos with warmed tortillas or use to top a hefty salad with toppings like cotija cheese and avocado. I recommend doing both. 😍